Vehicle State Taxes

Asked by GuruQ7M7H Nov 26, 2019 at 07:40 PM

Question type: General

I am active duty military stationed in California, but I register my vehicles in my
home state of Ohio. If I purchase a car and take delivery in California, will I be
able to register the vehicle in Ohio and pay Ohio taxes?

3 Answers


I don't see a problem but you will initially pay the California sales tax and registration. Once you move back you will pay the sky high California rates again. If you buy a car in Ohio you will avoid the California taxes however make sure you buy a car with California emissions or you can't register it in Commiefornia!

1 people found this helpful.

If your home address and drivers license are Ohio you will pay Ohio rates if you purchase in California. Verify this with the car dealer.

1 people found this helpful.

Absolutely, a few years ago I bought a car in North Carolina and I live in New Jersey. I did not pay sales tax to North Carolina. When I got the car home, transferred the title, and registered it in New Jersey I paid sales tax to New Jersey. Thank you for your service!! Hope that helps! Jim

1 people found this helpful.

Your Answer:


General Experts

  • #1
  • #2
  • #3
    G A Arne
View All

Find great deals from top-rated dealers


Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by CarGurus. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use. Content will be removed if CarGurus becomes aware that it violates our policies.