How to buy a car in another state

Asked by GarrinT Feb 19, 2019 at 06:54 PM

Question type: Car Selling & Trading In

Are there CarGurus dealers that will move a car from one state to your state for
you?  Or, how do you manage a purchase from another state from where you

2 Answers


You would have to pay for the car to be moved.

1 people found this helpful.

Go there and review the car yourself; that's a good start. You should also have a mechanic review the car. If you can't go there, that would be risky. You need to verify the car's ownership; might be fraud. You could hire an auto broker, but that would be expensive for just any used car. You must arrange transport; I doubt that the seller would do that. I've bought cars at auction in other states using a representative there, and even that has had its problems..... Also, it depends on where you live. If in California and this is an older car, you must be sure it will pass California standards. Look for a sticker under the hood that says California legal.

Your Answer:

Car Selling & Trading In Experts

  • #1
  • #2
    Bob Beaman
  • #3
View All

Find great deals from top-rated dealers


Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by CarGurus. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use. Content will be removed if CarGurus becomes aware that it violates our policies.