99 BEETLE "GENERATOR" LIGHT IS ON
RECENTLY THE WATER HOSE BUSTED ON MY 99 VW BEETLE AND COOLANT WENT EVERYWHERE. I REPAIRED
THE HOSE BUT NOW THE CAR WON'T START AT ALL. THE ELECTRONICS ARE DEAD AS WELL. IT SEEMS AS IF
THE CAR IS NOT GETTING ANY POWER. SINCE THE "GENERATOR" LIGHT IS ON, DOES THAT MEAN I MOST
LIKELY NEED TO REPLACE THE ALTERNATOR? IT'S A 1.8 TURBO. ANY FEEDBACK IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.
first check the battery voltage, maybe it is discharged. Then check the battery fuse box for a busted fuse, the ones that look like an aluminum stick, these are the primary fuses. does the dash ligts up any of the signals? battery or oil, etc.
I took the battery to have it checked and was told it has a bad cell...bought a new one. but car still won't start. seems as if it still isn't getting enough power. when the initial problem happened, the oil light...generator light...and red temperature light came on. normally the temp light comes on as blue and then goes away after a few seconds. after installing the new battery, the interior lights now come on and the radio will play. i would take it to have a diagnostics done, but the car won't crank at all.
Did you check the fuses? Maybe you have a bad starter. But check the fuse on the left hand side of the box on top of the battery that's the starter and alternator fuse.