Asked by Jun 05, 2017 at 01:06 PM about the 1992 Volkswagen Cabriolet Base

Question type: Car Selling & Trading In

I've found a car that I wanted for a great price
online. The only real problem with the car is the title
the person that is selling it says the previous
owners name is black out because he was going to
scrap the car but decided to sell it to the person
with it now. So I'm not sure how to go about this.
How would I get the car in my name? Should we file
for a new tilte? Is the person selling the car have an
actual ownership over the car?

9 Answers


Do the transaction at your local DMV but I think they will have a huge problem with the blacked out owners name. I would walk away from this one.

1 people found this helpful.

I would file for a lost title. I would call your local DMV and see what they require for filing. Also some states don't require a title after so many years. Only a bill of sale and notarized

1 people found this helpful.

Only if you want the car.

1 people found this helpful.

fishy story, any alterations void the title..


Yes. DMV probably won't accept it.


It is the seller that needs to clear the title, NOT the buyer. They are selling it cheap because no one wants a car with a funky title.

1 people found this helpful.

If the person who is selling you the car is not listed on the title, then the car is not theirs to sell. It sounds like the person selling you the car bought the car, but failed to transfer it into their name. This is title jumping and is illegal. Nonetheless, it happens all the time. This has been a while, so I'm sure you figured something out or decided to find a new car, but for anyone else in this situation, the proper way to do this would be for the seller to transfer the title in their name, then sign the new title over to you. If you purchase a car with a damaged/crossed out title, you might be forced to get a bonded title when you go to transfer it into your name at the DMV. Here's info on how to get a bonded title: http://blog.suretysolutions.com/suretynews/so-you-bought-a-car-without-a-title-bond-heres- what-to-do-next

Hi , did you already get a title for it


Thi car is more than 20 years old.If your states DMV wont accept it,you can look around online for a re-titling service.Probably cost you $200-$300,but youll get a title

Your Answer:


Looking for a Used Cabriolet in your area?

CarGurus has thousands of nationwide listings and the tools to find you a great deal.

Postal Code:

Volkswagen Cabriolet Experts

  • #1
  • #2
    Scott Sr.
  • #3
View All

Related Models For Sale

Used Volkswagen Beetle
4 Great Deals out of 351 listings starting at $3,500
Used Volkswagen Golf
23 Great Deals out of 948 listings starting at $3,990
Used Volkswagen GTI
17 Great Deals out of 244 listings starting at $4,650
Used Volkswagen Jetta
87 Great Deals out of 2,861 listings starting at $2,900
Used BMW 3 Series
99 Great Deals out of 2,022 listings starting at $1,500
Used Toyota Camry
30 Great Deals out of 2,099 listings starting at $2,450
Used Jeep Wrangler
20 Great Deals out of 1,885 listings starting at $3,494

Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by CarGurus. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use.