putting in a smaller motor, than a 460

Asked by Pete Jul 22, 2019 at 06:17 PM

Question type: Shopping & Pricing

i have a 1987 24 foot ford motor home with a old 460 in it with a three speed tranny, its killing me at the pumps, is there any way to either swap out the tranny for a 4 speed or something with o/drive, etc etc or is there a better motor to swap in with a good tranny etc? like a new yet wrecked truck combo etc? i never put my foot down on old 460, but it raceing over 3000 rpm on highways, yike---////////////////////$$$$

3 Answers

You've got a truck chassis with a camper added to it. You could drive slower or add an overdrive after the transmission. Changing the trans might be an option IF you can find something that will mate to your engine. Switching to another engine trans is not a good idea as anything later than yours will be fuel injected and computer controlled, and it would be one hell of a project. Have you considered leaving the keys in it and a dollar on the seat? Buy something smaller and more fuel efficient with the insurance money.


A 4 speed auto box is your best bet. Probably an AOD.



Your Answer:


Looking for a Used Ford in your area?

CarGurus has 32,256 nationwide Ford listings starting at $424.

Postal Code:


Ford Experts

  • #1
  • #2
    G A Arne
  • #3
View All

Find great deals from top-rated dealers


Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by CarGurus. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use. Content will be removed if CarGurus becomes aware that it violates our policies.