Importing a Car from Japan


Asked by May 21, 2017 at 08:45 PM

Question type: General

If I were to buy a car from Japan (Nissan R34 Skyline GTR, for example) would I have to have the car to street legal standards (in the U.S) to import it? If I were to just use it for purely show use and not drive it on public streets, but private property, would having the car be street legal be a necessity? I'm not really interested in driving an import car on the street, but private property where I have permission to do so.

6 Answers


Get a dealership to do it for you and avoid any problems.


There is a permit process but it is very difficult and probably expensive as well. There are businesses that specialize in such things. What you want is nearly impossible but it may have been done before.

1 people found this helpful.

Okay, would I directly contact a dealership and talk to them about what I specifically want from my car and then go from there? Or is there some special process I must go through to have it done? I've never imported a car, so I wouldn't know.


I could always try the dealership process and see if that would do anything. If not, then I could always find another way. I'm just not interested in using this kind of car for street use.


Regular car dealers will not be able to help you. Maybe this will clue you in a little ------ to-import-a-car-to-the-uni-1682067632


Bill Gates got a special law passed so he could import a toy. You are not Bill Gates ;)

Your Answer:


General Experts

  • #1
  • #2
  • #3
View All

Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by CarGurus. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use. Content will be removed if CarGurus becomes aware that it violates our policies.