Waiting car dealer to complete paper work..my car was totaled while parked..insurance will cover all I paid..

Asked by Mar 13, 2017 at 05:25 PM

Question type: General

Dealer too busy to do paper work..what can I do??..need title sent to finance

2 Answers


Sue him, have your lawyer call him...

1 people found this helpful.

If you signed an agreement of sale and the money was released from the finance company to the Dealership the car is yours. When a brand new vehicle is delivered to the dealer it has no title. It comes with a certificate of origin. When the vehicle is sold it gets a title. If you finance the vehicle the dealer sends the title to the finance company. They are listed as the lienholder. In your case the finance company will receive the title and hold it until the insurance company pays the finance company the total due in full. The lien will then be released and the title sent to the insurance company. However, if you did NOT sign an agreement of sale AND no money was paid to the dealer the vehicle belongs to the dealer. This could get tricky. You're insurance company isn't going to want to pay for a car that wasn't yours and the dealer's insurance company isn't going to want to pay for a vehicle that was allegedly sold. If you have any difficulties with this, definitely speak to an attorney. Keep all your paperwork for future reference so that who owned what at the time of destruction can be determined!! Good luck with this!! HTH. - Jim

2 people found this helpful.

Your Answer:


General Experts

  • #1
  • #2
  • #3
View All

Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by CarGurus. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use. Content will be removed if CarGurus becomes aware that it violates our policies.