Computer Box - Ford Bantam 1.3

Asked by Apr 12, 2016 at 03:40 PM about the 2006 Ford Bantam

Question type: Maintenance & Repair

Hi. The dealer advised me that the computer box needs to be replaced.When I check my warranty documents it doesn't say anything about a computer box being covered . only talks about a transfer box. Is this one and the same thing. Just want to determine if the computer box will be covered by the warranty policy

14 Answers


Ford Bantam II series (code-named BE91) really a Mazda Rustler, the 1.3 gas engine control computer is NOT the transfer box Ford uses the EEC name (electronic engine control) in the U.S.A. SAE calls the computer a PCM (power train control module) and finally most re-builders or resale places call them ECU's (electronic engine control) units. Ann Arbor, MI

5 people found this helpful.

The Bantam 1.3 and 1.6 Computer box known as the PCM in South Africa uses a Bosch system. The earlier Rocam engine PCM part number is : 1S6D-12A650-BA 1.3. The Bosch part number is :0 261 207 676. These PCMs are not available new anymore , but they can be repaired; Phone South Africa : 0820606425

1 people found this helpful.

Can I use a 1.6 rocam ecu on a 1.3 rocam motor

10 people found this helpful.

It will run, but a rich mixture. The Rocam 1300 upto 2006 has a knock sensor, but the 1600 does not . Check the part number of the PCM 1S6D-12A650-AB 1.6 does not have a knock sensor. From 2007 the unit with the part number 5S69-12650-A , both 1300 and 1600 have knock sensors. These ones can be changed from 1300 to 1600 and Vis Versa. . The earlier ECUs can be changed fro 1300 to 1600 , but not 1600 to 1300. The 1300 will run using a 1600 ECU but not efficiently

3 people found this helpful.

Can the 1.6 ecu be programmed to run efficiently or what would I need to change for it to run properly. I can't find a 1.3 rocam ecu in good condition. Its a 2004 model

2 people found this helpful.

The 2003 ECU 1600 does not have the electronic circuit on the main board for a knock sensor where as the 1300 does. You can not convert the 1600 to the 1300 of this model. Try the Ford Bantam club on Facebook. Someone there is bound to be able to help you.

1 people found this helpful.

Hi, I have a 1300 rocam and wish to convert to 1600cc, can this be done without any challenges ie, gearbox, computer box and so on? please advise Siphelele

6 people found this helpful.

The Computer Box will have to be converted from 1300 to 1600. The top gear ratio for the 1300 is slightly lower that the 1600, but you can use it like it is. For your case only the Computer Box will have to be converted to 1600.

1 people found this helpful.

I have a 2006 1600 rocam engine the engine has been done, when I ref it, it pings, why should this be because it does not have a knock sensor and there is no wiring for the knock sensor


Check that the Camshaft timing is correct. It sounds like its a tooth out.

Hi I'm having a problem with my bantum it's dasint want to start what can be the problem


Is it carnking and not starting or is the starter not cranking ? Does the light next to the clock: Come on and go off after about two seconds; Not come on at all; The light stays ON when the ignition is ON or does the light Flash up quickly for a few seconds then flash up codes ?

1 people found this helpful.

Hi I'm having the very same problem Bantam 1.6 Doesn't start when I switch ON the key red light stays on even when I switch OFF the key it stays ON. WHAT'S THE SOLUTION?

2 people found this helpful.

Firstly check the Power hold relay. Its the centre to the right in the junction box right side under the dash in the fuse box area. If that is OK. Its possibly the computer box.

1 people found this helpful.

Your Answer:


Looking for a Used Bantam in your area?

CarGurus has thousands of nationwide listings and the tools to find you a great deal.

Postal Code:


Ford Bantam Experts

  • #1
  • #2
    Janus Welgemoed
  • #3
    AB Zaviour
View All

Find great deals from top-rated dealersTM


Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by CarGurus. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use. Content will be removed if CarGurus becomes aware that it violates our policies.