Can I swap my 1966 225 with a 1991 transmission and transmission?

Asked by Jun 21, 2017 at 12:20 PM about the 1966 Dodge D-Series

Question type: Car Customization

I have a 1966 Dodge D100
Sweptline with a 225. Can I use a
1991 or ever newer 318?

3 Answers


With work you can do the swap but why not keep the truck original? If I were to swap a V8 into this truck I would use a correct engine with a carburetor from the same time period as the truck. A 383 or 361 B series engine would be correct.

They make carburetor manifolds for the late model motors. My biggest concern is mounted and wiring. I would like to know what if any mount mods would have to be made. As as going period correct : I don't have the money to do so. I have been offered a rebuilt 91 roller cam motor for a steal. So this project is very dictated by funds.


The transmission in your truck is the 727 torqueflite. THe 225 slant six 727 had a special bell housing bolt pattern. You would need to change to a V8 727 trans

Your Answer:


Looking for a Used D-Series in your area?

CarGurus has thousands of nationwide listings and the tools to find you a great deal.

Postal Code:


Dodge D-Series Experts

  • #1
  • #2
  • #3
View All

Related Models For Sale

Used Dodge Coronet
6 listings

Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by CarGurus. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use. Content will be removed if CarGurus becomes aware that it violates our policies.